Feb 16, 2009

Valentines Day, part 2. Raspberry Truffles

So....um....women like chocolate....right? But you know, good chocolate costs a whole heck of a lot of money. But if you get them a 10 lb bar of good chocolate, they don't seem as excited as say getting 10 lbs of truffles or 10 lbs of chocolate cake mix. Its a good thing I told Sara I was going to use that huge bar of chocolate to make raspberry truffles with it. But the thing is, Chocolatiering, or the making of chocolate, is HARD. To make truffles, first you make ganosh. This isn't the 6 armed god of the Hindu people, this is the creamy, buttery, chocolaty goodness often found in the middle of truffles. Then you coat little balls of the ganosh with tempered chocolate. That part is hard. When tempering chocolate, you have to heat it us to a certain temperature, cool it down to a certain temperature, heat is back up to a certain temperature, cool it down to a certain temperature, and so on and so forth, until it become smooth, runny, and shiny. The better you do this, the shinier and harder it will be when the chocolate hardens. The problem is that I didn't temper too well, so my chocolate truffles came out a bit grainy, and not so shiny. But thats why I have 10 lbs of chocolate, so I can learn. Anyway, this recipe was good, but you could hardly taste the raspberries. I think next time, I'm going to use a good quality raspberry syrup, or non-alcoholic liquer. They seem to be stronger in flavor. Like most recipes, you have to have alot of trial and error.

1 1/3 c Chocolate morsels
2 T Heavy cream
1 T Butter
2 T Seedless raspberry jam
In a heavy saucepan, combine morsels, heavy cream and butter. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until smooth. Stir in raspberry jam. Cover with plastic wrap; freeze 20 minutes. Drop mixture by teaspoons onto foil lined cookie sheet. Freeze 15 minutes. Roll into balls; freeze until firm.

1 comment:

  1. I tried these (okay, I ate 3, they were VERY hard to resist) and they were YUMMY! I love that you're doing this blog, Dave. Post the recipe for those chocolate cookies you made before Sara's family came into town, will you? I loved those too.
    Yum, yum. I am definitely bookmarking this page! : ) You guys are awesome!

    ReplyDelete